Welcome to the KADEP Blog!

The King Adult Day Enrichment Program (KADEP) - Come thrive with us!

KADEP is a life-affirming day program for people with multiple sclerosis (MS), brain injury, and other acquired neurological conditions. Our mission is to promote the functioning, wellness, independence and life enjoyment of younger adults, ages 18 and up, with neurological challenges.


For information about KADEP or to schedule a tour, please call 303-433-6887 or email KADEPinfo@mscenter.org

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Letter from Pat

Some shared words from Pat Dworkin...


An open letter to the KADEP clients and staff:

I have now found some of the words to express my sadness in departure from KADEP. In my departure there were too many emotions to sort out to make an eloquent departure speech. You all deserve that, but there was just too much shock, sorrow, frustration and pain to sort out quickly to respond to the abrupt nature of my layoff. Believe it or not, I was speechless. You all have honored me in my leadership through your courage, honesty, compassion and creative approach to addressing the issues of life and death. The past years we have shared marriages, divorces, births, and deaths. In reflecting over my own personal experiences, I have had to say goodbye to many KADEP participants and staff. I have married, experienced the wonderment of the birth of two grandchildren, and the death of another. You have been there with me as my “KADEP extended family” through it all. It was the place I came 24 hours after attending my grandson’s memorial service to be at peace, keeping going and move on. I will miss you and wish my farewell could have been more coherent and eloquent. Goodbyes, however unpleasant, are unfortunately, necessary.


My life has been enriched through the vicarious and direct experiences at KADEP. Through listening to the stories of people, it was always easier for me to put my troubles, seemingly small in comparison, into perspective. I continue to be in awe of the courage and tenacity of human spirit and the gratitude of people in simply being seen, heard and listened to,. Thank you for this. Thank you for reminding me that I too, can rise above adversity. Thank you for the laughter and the tears and the genuine manner in which you deal with people. Thank you for continuing to care and perform an exemplary service in the face of lack of monetary and sometimes philosophical support. Two very important concepts to which I adhere have been reinforced through my experiences of the last five years at KADEP. 1) Life is about the relationships that you form and 2) Its not what happens to you in life that defines you, but what you do with it.

Know that I will continue to advocate for the benefit of those less fortunate in life and do all that I can to accomplish progress in a dignified manner in the lives of people with disabilities. I leave therefore, with my head held high with a salute to the hopeful success of you and all you do.

-Pat

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It has been a pleasure knowing you at KADEP and Terry at Hydro. I wish you the best in all your endeavors. Beverly S.

medina said...

"Thnkyou, Pat we wish all the best. love kadep.